Where to start when taking your first modeling steps
As an aspiring model (new face), there are basic steps that you should take into consideration before starting. The first important step is to know your goals. You should know what kind modeling you want to do and how big a part you want modeling to play in your life. When you know this, it’s much easier to get started.
When you are ready to embark on your journey towards the world of modeling, you should make sure that you have read enough about modeling and that you know what to expect. There are various sources available online for new models that tell more about modeling in general, the different types of modeling you can do, where and how to start and who to contact.
As you are doing your research, take some time to find a list of modeling agencies you could contact. This is an important step as by now you should know how to choose a modeling agency that best matches the kind of modeling you want to do. If the modeling agencies of your choice are in a close proximate to where you are located, why not pay a visit to the agency in person. That’s the best way to get a much clearer and more informed picture of the type of agency you are dealing with.
When you feel confident about the modeling agencies you have found, you should either start calling them or contacting them by email. And this is where photos come in. As an aspiring model, one of your main tasks is to arrange a photo shoot with a reliable model photographer. You want to project a good and professional image of yourself and for that reason it is important to focus on the quality of your photos. Shogunmaster Photography’s Model Program has designed it’s exclusive Photo Sessions especially for the purpose of giving a model the right kind of professional photos to show to agencies. If you are unable to have photos taken by a professional model photographer, you could also consider selecting some quality pictures that you already have of yourself.
Another effective way of getting exposure as a new model, you could try to find a source on the internet that could list your information and pictures. You should consider listing with one or more websites that offer these kinds of online services for models. Websites, such as shogunmaster.com, provide an excellent way of getting started as a new model, as they offer a great platform for getting connected with the right industry professionals. It’s free to sign up, and if you want even more exposure to boost your chances further you can promote your profile.
To reach many vendors very quickly, create your profile on Shogumaster Photography’s Model Blog and contact them directly. Shogunmaster Photography gives models exposure via a massive database of connections so the vendors and photographers can find models to further the models’ careers. It also gives models a stylish place to show their photos much like having a personal website. As an agency, we will represent new models and then take charge of the models’ professional career, as the model will then be contracted to working for us. You should not have to pay an agency to be considered as one of their models, as they will make their money from a percentage of the models future jobs. It is very important to be informed of this before you start the process of contacting modeling agencies.
As long as your goals are set from the very onset of your modeling career, you should have a much clearer and more secure picture of what you should know as an aspiring, new model. And should you encounter rejection, do not give up. All new models experience rejection at one point or another. It is just a fact of the business. So stick to your goals, work hard and start connecting with the right people in order to make your dream of being a model into a reality.
Modeling tips that every model should know
1. Modeling is a business, and as a model, you are your own business! Like any business, it takes time, effort, commitment, and patience to become a successful model. Remember that success does not happen over night.
2. Present yourself as the perfect candidate: show confidence, have a good attitude and a friendly personality. Show your personal style, but keep it clean and simple and always make a good first impression.
3. Keep a healthy lifestyle: drink a lot of water, hold on to a healthy diet, work-out regularly, get sufficient sleep and avoid cigarettes and alcohol.
4. Look after your skin and your hair: use skin & hair care products, keep make-up at a minimum, take off your make-up every night and go for a regular trim.
5. Apply and attend as much castings and go-sees as possible: For models, a casting or a go see is a job interview, and should be regarded as such. Be prepared!
6. Model agency representation: If you are looking for representation within a model agency, or if a model agency contacts you, please make sure the contract is reliable and includes the standard conditions of the industry. Keep an eye on the following points: percentage of commission, duration of contract, cancellation terms, exclusiveness, any hidden costs or fees (basically read the small print!) If you have any doubts please contact us. Don’t sign a contract if you do not feel 100% sure!